Sunday 27 November 2016

Critical Reflection

As a university student, projects involving report writings and presentations are very common, making Effective Communication an essential module. In the class I’m assigned to, I have managed to learn many things from not only my instructor but from my peers as well.

First, we were taught to create a blog, where we would post our assignments online and comment on each other’s work. Initially, I felt very doubtful of how the process would be like. After all, half of the class see each other only in this module and other lectures, so it felt awkward commenting on other people’s mistake. But this process turns out to be very helpful as I managed to learn what my mistakes were and how I can improve on it. I could also take a look at other people’s blog and learn the proper way to structure a sentence and more.

Through all the blog post I’ve have done, I have learned to be more critical of myself. Trying to make sure to read through a few more before posting to prevent as little mistakes, such as sentence structure, verb tenses, and grammatical errors, as possible.  

As mentioned in my previous post on Oral Reflection, I still feel that my oral skills have a lot to improve on and I believe as time progress, with more presentation opportunity, I would slowly but surely improve.


All in all, I don’t see myself with any strengths, as I believe I can still improve in both writing and oral skill, with what I have learnt through more practice. To further develop, I feel I can read more articles, listen to more news and learn from them to further enhance myself. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Daryl,

    I agree with you that presentations and report writing skills are essential in our life. We are fortunate to have Effective Communication as one of the module in our first year of studies in Singapore Technology Institute (SIT).

    Good to hear that you actually learnt from your mistakes.

    Let's improve our English together!

    Sincerely,
    Nana Rafiana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Daryl, for this clear, concise final reflection. In it you touch on some of the skill areas for our course and you explain how you felt about these and your development in the various areas. It's interesting that you found the blog posts and associated feedback as good support for your own writing development. I wonder when you state that you would "take a look at other people’s blog and learn the proper way to structure a sentence and more," what that actually means. Did you look at a specific classmate's blog post, sensing that their language use was better than yours, and then use something they wrote as model?
    That's okay--- I'm interested because how students use the blogging really interests me.

    Thanks for sharing the fact that you don't feel you have any strengths. That shows me more of a lack of confidence than anything else. In fact, I'd say one of your strengths is your humility, which is not to be taken lightly. Knowing your limitations will actually be a good starting point for further development.

    All the best as your journey continues. :)


    ReplyDelete